The roundtable aims to explore how sporting activities can be a real experience of citizenship for young girls and women.
Does an engagement in a sports team provide increased visibility in the public space? What possibilities does it open up to be a member of a collective? Does the practice of a so-called "masculine" sport help renegotiate social norms? Do women's sporting performances improve their status in society?
This discussion will examine the ways in which the practice of a sport promotes the empowerment of girls and women as well as their participation in social life as full citizens.
- Solène Froidevaux, Researcher, University of Lausanne
- Françoise Grange Omokaro, Lecturer in Anthropology and Sociology, Graduate Institute, Geneva
- Tanya Kini, Master student in International Affairs, Graduate Institute, Geneva
- Héloïse Roman, Project Manager on Equality Issues at Service Agenda 21-Ville durable, City of Geneva
- Laure Gabus, freelance journalist.
This event is organised in partnership with Service Agenda 21-Ville durable of the City of Geneva within the 2020 Equality Week.
Banner: © Oleksandr Osipov / shutterstock.com
Image: © sportoakimirka / shutterstock.com