Welcome to my web page.
I am Professor of Economics and Pictet Chair in Finance and Development at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva. I am also the Director of the Center for Finance and Development.
Prior to joining the Institute, I was the Chief of the Debt and Finance Analysis Unit at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and a Senior Economist in the Research Department of the Inter-American Development Bank. In the past, I also worked at World Bank and taught at the American University of Beirut and at the University of Torino.
I am a former member of the Executive Committee of the Latin American Economic Association (LACEA) and an editor of the Association's journal Economia. I am also part of the editorial board of The IMF Economic Review, the Review of Development Finance, and the Review of Economics and Institutions.
Follow me on Twitter @upanizza
- Corporate foreign bond issuance and interfirm loans in China (with Y. Huang and R. Portes) NBER WP and CEPR DP versions
- How to solve the Greek debt problem (with J. Zettelmeyer, E. Avgouleas, B. Eichengreen, M. Poiares Maduro, R. Portes, B. Weder di Mauro, and C. Wyplosz) Peterson Institute Policy Brief
- Independent report on the Greek official debt (with B. Eichengreen, E. Avgouleas, M. Poiares Maduro, R. Portes, B. Weder di Mauro, C. Wyplosz and J. Zettelmeyer) CEPR Policy Insight VoxEU Piece
- The Hausmann-Gorky Effect, (with M. Gulati) IHEID Working Paper
- Investment Gaps in IDB Borrowing Countries (with F. Castellani, M. Olarreaga, and Y. Zhou) IHEID Working Paper
- A Note on the Economics of Philanthropy, (with N. Monnet) IHEID Working Paper
- And Yet It Moves: Inflation and The Great Recession (with D. Miles, R. Reis, and A. Ubide), VoxEU Piece, on Sole 24Ore
- Odiousness Ratings for Public Debt (with R. Hausmann), Project Syndicate
- The use of corruption indicators in sovereing ratings, IDB Technical Note
- The Cyclicality of International Public Sector Borrowing in Developing Countries: Does the Lender Matter? (with A. Galindo) CEPR Discussion Paper
- Lessons Unlearned? Corporate Debt in Emerging Markets (with L. Alfaro, G. Asis, and A. Chari) CEPR Discussion Paper and NBER Working Paper, VoxEU Piece
- Does Greece need more offcial debt relief? If so, how much? (with J. Zettelemeyer and E. Kreplin), Working Paper, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Non-linearities in the Relationship between Finance and Growth, IHEID Working Paper
- A Perfectly Crazy Idea for the IMF, Project Syndicate
- The Folk Theorem of Decreasing Effectiveness of Monetary Policy: What Do the Data Say? (with C. Wyplosz) prepared for the 17th J. Polak Annual Research Conference (IMF)
- Public Debt and Private Firm Funding: Evidence from Chinese Cities (with Y. Huang and M. Pagano), VoxEU piece
- Can Countries Rely on Foreign Saving for Domestic Investment (and Development)? (with E. Cavallo and B. Eichengreen), VoxEU Piece
- The second wave of global liquidity: why are fi rms acting like fi nancial intermediaries? (with J. Caballero and A. Powell), VoxEU Piece
- Public Debt and Long-Term Economic Growth: The Research and Policy Agenda, Proceedings of the 43rd Economics Conference, Austrian National Bank (2015).
- Billions on the Sidewalk: Improving Savings by Reducing Investment Mistakes (related material at the Harvard/WEF Symposium)
- CIEPR-Brookings Report on Corporate Debt in Emerging Markets (with V. Acharya, S. Cecchetti, J. De Gregorio, S. Kalemli-Ozcan, and P. Lane) see also VoxEU piece
- Too Much Finance or Statistical Illusion: A Comment (with JL Arcand and E Berkes)
- VoxEU Piece on Financing for Development (with C. Adam, A. Presbitero and D. Vines)
- Debt Sustainability in Low-Income Countries - The Grants versus Loans Debate in a World without Crystal Balls
- Peru’s Great Depression A Perfect Storm? (with Gonzalo Llosa)
- To QE or not to QE my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the Quantitative Easing
- Rashomon in euro land, my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the euro zone
- A Surplus of Ambition: Can Europe Rely on Large Primary Surpluses to Solve its Debt Problem? (with B. Eichengreen) NBER WP 20316, VoxEU piece, on the Financial Times, on The Economist, other Financial Times
- Public Debt Risks in Italy, on Fortune
- Financial Development and Economic Growth: Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns
- Debt Composition, Debt Levels and Sovereign Spreads in Emerging and Advanced Economies (with S. Dell'Erba and R. Hausmann)
- Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion (VoxEU pieces about the first and second part of the paper)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth in Advanced Economies: A Survey (with A. Presbitero), VoxEU piece, lavoce.info, il Sole 24 Ore, and interview about the paper
- Finance and Economic Development in a Model with Credit Rationing (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth: Is There a Causal Effect? (with A. Presbitero) VoxEU piece about the paper
- Too Much Finance? (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes) BBC interview, on The Economist, a video interview about the paper, VoxEU piece