Welcome to my web page.
I am Professor of Economics and Pictet Chair in Finance and Development at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva. I am also the Director of the Center for Finance and Development.
Prior to joining the Institute, I was the Chief of the Debt and Finance Analysis Unit at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and a Senior Economist in the Research Department of the Inter-American Development Bank. In the past, I also worked at World Bank and taught at the American University of Beirut and at the University of Torino.
I am a former member of the Executive Committee of the Latin American Economic Association (LACEA) and an editor of the Association's journal Economia. I am also part of the editorial board of The IMF Economic Review, the Review of Development Finance, and the Review of Economics and Institutions.
Follow me on Twitter @upanizza
- Too Much Finance or Statistical Illusion: A Comment (with JL Arcand and E Berkes)
- VOX EU Piece on Financing for Development (with C. Adam, A. Presbitero and D. Vines)
- Debt Sustainability in Low-Income Countries - The Grants versus Loans Debate in a World without Crystal Balls
- Peru’s Great Depression A Perfect Storm? (with Gonzalo Llosa)
- To QE or not to QE my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the Quantitative Easing
- Rashomon in euro land, my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the euro zone
- A Surplus of Ambition: Can Europe Rely on Large Primary Surpluses to Solve its Debt Problem? (with B. Eichengreen) NBER WP 20316, VOX EU piece, on the Financial Times, on The Economist, other Financial Times
- Public Debt Risks in Italy, on Fortune
- Financial Development and Economic Growth: Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns
- Debt Composition, Debt Levels and Sovereign Spreads in Emerging and Advanced Economies (with S. Dell'Erba and R. Hausmann)
- Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion (VOX EU pieces about the first and second part of the paper)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth in Advanced Economies: A Survey (with A. Presbitero, VOX EU piece, lavoce.info, il Sole 24 Ore, and interview about the paper)
- Finance and Economic Development in a Model with Credit Rationing (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth: Is There a Causal Effect? (with A. Presbitero VOX EU piece about the paper)
- Too Much Finance? (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes BBC interview, on The Economist, a video interview about the paper, VOX EU piece)