Dr. Céline Bauloz is Senior Fellow at the Global Migration Centre. She has been Visiting Professor of International Law at Bocconi University (Milan, Italy), Legal Expert for the European Asylum Support Office (European Union) and the International Association of Refugee Law Judges (European Chapter) and Managing Editor of the Refugee Survey Quarterly (Oxford University Press). She regularly serves as consultant for international and non-governmental organizations and teaches courses for the MA in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies of the School of Advanced Study (University of London) and for the Geneva Centre for Education and Research in Humanitarian Action (University of Geneva).
Céline previous worked as Postdoc Researcher at the National Center of Competence in Research – The Migration-Mobility Nexus (NCCR – On the Move, University of Fribourg), Visiting Researcher at Harvard Law School and Teaching Assistant at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights.
She holds a PhD in International Law from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, a MAS in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights from the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights and a MA in International Relations from the Graduate Institute and the University of Geneva.
Her main fields of expertise include international refugee law, international migration law, international human rights law and international humanitarian law, as well as EU law and the law of the United Nations.
Selected publications on migration
- “Foreigners: Wanted Dead or Alive? Medical Cases before European Courts and the Need for an Integrated Approach to Non-Refoulement”, European Journal of Migration and Law, 18(4), 2016, pp. 409-441.
- An Introduction to the Common European Asylum System for Courts and Tribunals (co-authored with J. Barnes and M.-T. Gil-Bazo for the International Association of Refugee Law Judges European Chapter) EASO Professional Development Series for Members of Courts and Tribunals of EU Member States, Aug. 2016, 146 p.
- "Refugee Status and Subsidiary Protection: Towards a Uniform Content of International Protection?" (co-authored with G. Ruiz), in: V. Chetail, P. De Bruycker & F. Maiani (eds), Reforming the Common European Asylum System. The New European Refugee Law, Leiden: Brill/Nijhoff, 2016, pp. 240-268.
- “Blurred Lines: Migration and Mobility in EU Law and Policy”, NCCR Working Paper Series No. 4, Feb. 2016, 30 p.
- Seeking Asylum in the European Union: Selected Protection Issues Raised by the Second Phase of the Common European Asylum System (co-edited with M. Ineli-Ciger, S. Singer & V. Stoyanova, Leiden/Boston: Brill/Nijhoff, International Refugee Law Series, 2015, 297 p.
- Research Handbook on International Law and Migration (co-edited with V. Chetail), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014.
- "L'apport du droit international pénal au droit international des réfugiés : l'article 1F(a) de la Convention de 1951", in: V. Chetail & C. Laly-Chevalier (eds), Asile et extradition: théorie et pratique de l'exclusion du statut de réfugié, Brussels: Bruylant, 2014, pp. 33-63.
- "The Definition of Armed Conflict in Asylum Law: The 2014 Diakité Judgment of the EU Court of Justice”, Journal of International Criminal Justice, 12, 2014, pp. 835-846.
- "The (Mis)Use of International Humanitarian Law under Article 15(c) of the EU Qualification Directive", in: D.J. Cantor & J.-F. Durieux (eds), Refuge from Inhumanity? War Refugees and International Humanitarian Law, The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2014, pp. 247-269.
- "La compatibilité d’une double procédure d’asile avec le droit de l’Union européenne: Commentaire de l’arrêt H.N. de la Cour de Justice de l’Union européenne", Asyl, 3/14, 2014, pp. 31-32.
- "Is Switzerland an EU Member State? Asylum Law Harmonization through the Backdoor" (co-authored with V. Chetail), in: M. Fullerton, H. Lambert & J. McAdam (eds.), The Global Reach of European Refugee Law, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013, pp. 156-177.
- The European Union and the Challenges of Forced Migration: From Economic Crisis to Protection Crisis? (co-authored with V. Chetail), Research Report, Florence/Washington, D.C., European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies/Migration Policy Institute, 2011.
- "Le droit international humanitaire à l’épreuve des groupes armés non-étatiques", in: V. Chetail (ed.), Permanence et mutations du droit international humanitaire, Brussels: Bruylant, 2014, pp. 217-250.