Peer Reviewed Journals 2017
Cavallo, E., Eichengreen, B., and Panizza, U., Review of World Economy 51, 1-30, 2017.
Casini, P., Vandewalle, L., and Wahhaj, Z., World Bank Economic Review, 31(1): 97-128, 2017.
Choi, S., Furceri, D., Huang, Y., and Loungani, P., Journal of International Money and Finance, July 2017.
Working Papers & Policy Briefs 2017
- "The Use of Corruption Indicators in Sovereign Ratings", Panizza, U., Inter-American Development Bank Technical Note IDB-TN-1318, October 2017.
- "Elusive Inflation and the Great Recession", Miles, D., Panizza, U., Reis, R., and Ubide, A., VoxEU, 25 October 2017.
- "A Note on the Economics of Philanthropy", Monnet, N., Panizza, U., Graduate Institute Working Paper No: 19-2017.
- "Identities and Public Policies: Unintended Effects of Political Reservations for Women in India", Cassan, G., Vandewalle, L., Graduate Institute Working Paper No: 18-2017.
- "The Cyclicality of International Public Sector Borrowing in Developing Countries: Does the Lender Matter?", Galindo, A., Panizza, U., CEPR Discussion Paper 12243, August 2017.
- "Odiousness Ratings for Public Debt", Hausmann, R., and Panizza, U., Project Syndicate, August 2017.
- "Emerging Market Corporate Balance Sheets: Then and Now", Alfaro, L., Asis, G., Chari, A., and Panizza, U., VoxEU, 13 June 2017.
- "Corporate Debt in Emerging Markets, Lessons Unlearned?", Alfaro, L., Asis, G., Chari, A., and Panizza, U., CEPR Discussion Paper 12038 and NBER Working Paper 23407, 51p., May 2017.
- "A European Monetary Fund?", Wyplosz, C., European Parliament, Directorate-General for Internal Policies, Economic Governance Support Unit, Economic and Monetary Affairs Committe Working Paper, May 2017.
- "Financial Constraints, Institutions, and Foreign Ownership", Alquist, R., Berman, N., Mukherjee, R. and Tesar, L., NBER Working Paper w24241, CEPR Discussion Paper DP12646, 2017.
- "Acquirers and Financial Constraints: Theory and Evidence from Emerging Markets", Mukherjee, R. and Pröbsting, C., IHEID Working Paper 21-2017.
"And Yet It Moves. Inflation and the Great Recession", Miles, D., Panizza, U., Reis, R., and Ubide, A., Geneva Report on the World Economy 19, May 2017.
"Does Greece Need More Official Debt Relief? If So, How Much?", Zettelemeyer, J., Kreplin, E., and Panizza, U., Peterson Institute for International Economics Working Paper, 17-6, April 2017.
"The Porter Hypothesis Goes to China: Spatial Development, Environmental Regulation and Productivity", Huang, Y., Naso, P., and Swanson, T., CIES Research Paper Series 53-2017.
"The Consumption Response to Minimum Wages: Evidence from Chinese Households", Dautovic, E., Hau, H., Yi, H., Graduate Institute Working Paper No: 01-2017.
Peer Reviewed Journals 2016
Alquist, R., Mukherjee, R., and Tesar, L., Journal of International Economics 98, 93-113, 2016.
Arcand, J.-L. and Wagner, N., World Development 78, 105-124, 2016.
Eichengreen, B. and Panizza, U., Economic Policy 31(85), 5-49, 2016.
Epstein, B., Mukherjee, R. and Ramnath, S., Journal of International Economics 102, 310-326, 2016.
Working Papers & Policy Briefs 2016
"Options for Trade, Finance and Development: Getting the Institutions Right", Arcand, J.-L., E15 Expert Group on Trade, Finance and Development – Policy Options Paper. E15 Initiative. Geneva: International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) and World Economic Forum, 2016.
"Saving China's Stock Market", Huang, Y., Miao, J., and Wang, P., IHEID Working Paper 09-2016, 2016.
"Foreign savings: No gain, some pain", Cavallo, E., Eichengreen, B., and Panizza, U., Vox column, 8 August 2016.
"Firm Response to Competitive Shocks: Evidence from Chinas Minimum Wage Policy", Hau, H., Huang, Y., and Wang, G., IHEID Working Paper 08-2016, 2016.
"Can Countries Rely on Foreign Saving for Investment and Economic Development?", Cavallo, E., Eichengreen, B., and Panizza, U., IHEID Working Paper 07-2016, 2016.
"Socially disadvantaged groups and microfinance in India", Baland, J. M., Somanathan, R., and Vandewalle, L., Vox column, 7 February 2016.
"Increasing Trust in the Bank to Enhance Savings: Experimental Evidence from India", Mehrotra, R., Somville, V., and Vandewalle, L., CMI Working Paper 2016:1, 2016.
"Making the Next Billion Demand Access - The Local Content Effect of google.co.za in Setswana", Quast, B., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 01-2016..
Peer Reviewed Journals 2015
Working Papers 2015
- "The Quest to Lower High Remittance Costs to Africa: A Brief Review of the Use of Mobile Banking and Bitcoins", Maloumby-Baka, R.-C., Kingombe, C., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 10-2015.
- "The Impact of Three Mexican Nutritional Programs: The Case of Dif-Puebla", Zaga, D., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 09-2015.
- "Masked Development: Exploring the Hidden Benefits of the Zapatista Conflict", Zaga, D., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 08-2015.
- "What Drives Financial Inclusion at the Bottom of Pyramid? Empirical Evidence from Microfinance Panel Data", Martinez, C., Krauss, A., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 07-2015.
- "Doing Well by Doing Good? Empirical Evidence from Microfinance", Martinez, C., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 06-2015.
- "Minimum Wage Law for Domestic Workers : Impact Evaluation of the Indian Experience", Ravindra Gudibande, R., Jacob, A., Centre for Finance and Development Working Paper N° 05-2015.
- "Corruption Scrutiny and Corporate Investment: Evidence from China," Huang, Y. and Ramirez, C., GMU Working Paper in Economics No. 15-28, March 2015.
- "Saving by Default: Evidence from a Field Experiment in India," Somville, V. and Vandewalle, L. , Graduate Institute Working Paper No: 01-2015.
Peer Reviewed Journals 2014
- "The (Lack of) Impact of Impact: Why Impact Evaluations Seldom Lead to Evidence-Based Policymaking," Arcand, J.-L., Revue d'économie du développement 28, 289-311, 2014.
- "The Separation of Information and Lending and the Rise of Rating Agencies in the United States (1841-1907)," Flandreau, M. and Geisler Mesevage, G., Scandinavian Review of Economic History 62(3), 213-242, 2014.
- "The Price of Media Capture and the Debasement of the French Newspaper Industry during the Interwar," Flandreau, M. and Bignon, V., Journal of Economic History, 2014.
- "The Untold History of Rating Agencies: Mercantile Agencies, the Law and the Lawyers (1851-1916)," Flandreau, M. and Geisler Mesevage, G., Enterprise and Society, 2014.
- "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns," Panizza, U., Revue d'économie du développement, 33-66, 2014.
- "Public debt and economic growth: Is there a causal effect?," Panizza U. and Presbitero A. F., Journal of Macroeconomics 41, 21-41, 2014.
- "Solving DSGE portfolio choice models with dispersed private information," Tille, C. and van Wincoop, E., Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 40, 1-24, 2014.
- "International Capital Flows under Dispersed Private Information," Tille, C. and van Wincoop, E., Journal of International Economics 39(1), 31-49, 2014.
- "HIV/AIDS Sensitisation and Peer Mentoring: Evidence from a Randomised Experiment in Senegal," Wagner, N., Arcand, J.-L., Sakho, C. and Diallo P., Journal of Development Effectiveness 6(2), 147-166, 2014.
- "Anthropologists in the Stock Exchange. Science, Empire and White Collar Criminality in the Age of Victoria," Flandreau, M., University of Chicago Press (forthcoming).
Book Chapters 2014
- "Credit Rationing, Bank Bailouts, and the Deleterious Impact of Credit: Evidence from China," Arcand, J.-L., in Financial Systems at the Crossroads: Lessons for China, W. T. Woo, Y. Pan, J. Sachs, J. Qian (eds.), World Scientific, 2014.
- "Weak Governments and Preferential Trade Agreements," Arcand, J.-L., Olarreaga, M. and Zoratto, L., in Trade Cooperation: The Purpose, Design and Effects of Preferential Trade Agreements, A. Dür and M. Elsig (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- "The Crisis of 1866," Flandreau, M. and Ugolini, S., in British Financial Crises since 1825, N. Dimsdale and A. Hotson, (eds.), Oxford University Press, 2014.
- "Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion," Panizza, U., in A Debt Restructuring Mechanism for Sovereigns, C. Paulus (eds.), Beck-Hart-Nomos, 2014.
Working Papers 2014
- "Liquidity-Driven FDI," Alquist, R., Mukherjee, R. and Tesar, L., December 2014.
- "Dynamic Mean-Preserving Spreads," Arcand, J.-L. and Hongler, M.-O.
- "Do Real Exchange Rate Appreciations Matter for Growth?," Bussière, M., Lopez, C. and Tille, C., CEPR Discussion Paper No. 9938, 2014; IHEID Working Paper No. 06/2014; Kiel Working paper No. 1922, 2014; MPRa paper No. 54892, 2014. Earlier version, "Currency Crises in Reverse: Do Large Real Exchange Rate Appreciations Matter for Growth?," MPRa paper No. 44096, 2014, Published 2015.
- "A Surplus of Ambition: Can Europe Rely on Large Primary Surpluses to Solve its Debt Problem," Eichengreen, B., Panizza, U., NBER Wworking Paper No. 20316, 2014.
- "Taxes and International Risk Sharing," Epstein, B., Mukherjee, R. and Ramnath, S., Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, International Finance Discussion Papers, No. 1110, June 2014.
- "Public Debt Risks in Italy: Myths, Facts, and Policies," Panizza, U., Graduate Institute Working Paper No. 13/2014.
Peer Reviewed Journals 2013
- "Public Debt and Economic Growth in Advanced Economies: A Survey," Panizza, U. and Presbitero, A., Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics 149 (2), 175-204, 2013.
Book Chapters 2013
- "Finance and Economic Development in a Model with Credit Rationing," Arcand, J.-L., Berkes E., and Panizza U., in The Social Value of the Financial Sector. Too Big to Fail or Just Too Big?, V. V. Acharya, T. Beck, D. D. Evanoff, G. G. Kaufman and R. Portes et al. (eds.), World Scientific, 67-80.
- "Time to ship during financial crises," Berman N., de Sousa J., Martin Ph., and Mayer T., in NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2012, F. Giavazzi and K. West (eds.), University of Chicago Press.
- "Where It All Began: Lending of Last Resort at the Bank of England Monitoring During the Overend-Gurney Panic of 1866," Flandreau M. and Ugolini S., in The Origins, History, and Future of the Federal Reserve: A Return to Jekyll Island, Bordo M. D., Roberds W. (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 113–161.
Published Reports 2013
- "Transferts de fonds et services financiers sur mobile: les modèles d'affaires pour les Postes," Arcand, J.-L., Garbouj, M. and Morgandi N., Global Migration Research Paper 6-2013.
- "Revisiting Sovereign Bankruptcy, Brookings Institution," Buchheit, L. C., Gelpern, A., Gulati, M., Panizza, U., Weder di Mauro, B., and Zettelmeyer, J., Committee on International Economic Policy and Reform, Washington DC.
Working Papers 2013
- "Fire-sale FDI or Business as Usual?," Alquist R., Mukherjee R. and Tesar L., NBER Working Paper No. 18837, February 2013, Published 2016.
- "Public Good Provision in Indian Rural Areas: the Returns to Collective Action by Microfinance Groups," Casini, P., and Vandewalle, L., Published 2015.
- "Libel, Liability and Lawyers: the Opaque Origins of the Business of Transparency," Flandreau M., Geisler Mesevage G. et al., December 2013.
- "Institutions, Corporate Governance and Capital Flows," Mukherjee R., IHEID Working Paper No: 10/2013, May 2013, Published 2015.
- "Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion," Panizza, U., IHEID Working Paper No. 03-2013.
- "Public Debt and Economic Growth in Advanced Economies: A Survey," Panizza, U. and Presbitero, A., Published 2013.
- "Currency Crises in Reverse: Do Large Real Exchange Rate Appreciations Matter for Growth?," Tille, C., Lopez, C., and Bussière, M., MPRA paper 44096.
- "The Role of Accountants in Indian Microfinance Groups: A Trade-off between Financial and Non-Financial Benefits," Vandewalle, L.