Stephanie C. Hofmann is Professor in the Department of International Relations and Political Science at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies. She received her PhD from Cornell University and her M.A.s from Cornell University and Bath University. She held visiting research positions at the European University Institute, the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, Columbia University and the Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung. As a visiting professor, she has taught academic and policy-oriented audiences in places such as Jerusalem, Rome, Tbilisi and Yerevan. And she conducted consultancy work for national governments and international organizations in places such as Burundi and Geneva. Her research centers on international/regional organizations, European and international security, networks, and global order. Her first book European Security in NATO’s Shadow. Party Ideologies and Institution Building appeared with Cambridge University Press (2013). Other research has appeared or is forthcoming in European Journal of International Relations, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of Strategic Studies, Journal of Peace Research and Perspectives on Politics.
History of international relations
International organisations, UN
NATO and alliance relations
Peacekeeping, peacebuilding, reconstruction policy
- Haftel, Yoram and Stephanie C. Hofmann. 2017. “Institutional Authority and Security Cooperation within Regional Economic Organizations.” Journal of Peace Research 54, 4: 484-498.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C. 2017. “NATO’s Institutional Transformation: Revisiting France’s Relationship with NATO (and the Common Wisdom on Gaullism).” Journal of Strategic Studies 40, 4: 505-531.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C., Barbara Bravo and Susanna Campbell. 2016. “Investing in International Security: Rising Powers and Organizational Choices.” Cambridge Review of International Affairs 29, 3: 831-851.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C. and Andrew I. Yeo. 2015. “Business As Usual: The Role of Norms in Alliance Management.” European Journal of International Relations 21, 2: 377-401.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C. 2013. European Security in NATO’s Shadow. Party Ideologies and Institution Building. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Beyer, Jesscia L. and Stephanie C. Hofmann. 2011. “Varieties of Neutrality: Norm Revision and Decline.” Cooperation and Conflict 46, 3: 285–311.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C. 2011. “Why Institutional Overlap Matters: CSDP in the European Security Architecture.” Journal of Common Market Studies 49, 1: 101–120.
- Mérand, Frédéric, Stephanie C. Hofmann and Bastien Irondelle. 2011. “Governance and State Power: A Network Analysis of European Security.” Journal of Common Market Studies 49, 1: 121–147.
- Hofmann, Stephanie C. 2009. “Overlapping Institutions in the Realm of International Security: The Case of NATO and ESDP.” Perspectives on Politics 7, 1: 45–52.