Campus de la Paix

The Campus de la paix extends from Place des Nations to the shores of Lake Geneva, spanning two public parks Parc Mon Repos and Parc Rigot. Very few academic institutions around the world enjoy such a high-quality working and living environment.

 

Noteworthy for its architecture, the Campus de la paix is where the Institute’s values are forged. A forum for exchange with the outside world, the Campus projects both the Institute’s identity and a vision for the future:

  • By being rooted in the heart of International Geneva and open to the public, it exemplifies the notion of its commitment to the society.
  • By integrating historical villas (Villa Barton and Villa Moynier) and contemporary buildings (Maison de la paix, the Edgar and Danièle de Picciotto Student House), it links the past and the present, tradition and modernity.
  • By embracing green construction, promoting public transport and soft mobility, it links the future to the present.

maison de la paix

 

Designed by the architect Eric Ott and inaugurated in 2013, Maison de la paix belongs to the Institute and serves as its headquarters. It hosts the Institute’s teaching, research and public event activities, as well as its administrative services.

Maison de la paix is a place for meetings, reflection and action in the field of peace and security and is home to the three Geneva centres supported by the Swiss Confederation: the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forcesthe Geneva Centre for Security Policy, and the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining.

Contemporary artworks enhance the building’s charm, offering inhabitants and visitors material for discussion and inspiration.

Borne out of a public-private partnership between the Graduate Institute (a private-law foundation), public authorities and donors, Maison de la paix represents Geneva’s and Switzerland’s contributions to the promotion of peace and international cooperation.

Villa Barton

 

Villa Barton is named after Alexandra Barton-Peel, who bequeathed the property to the Swiss Confederation in the 1930s. The villa became home to the Graduate Institute of International Studies in 1938 and then in 2008 to the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, headquartered at Maison de la paix.

Set against the backdrop of a beautiful park on the shores of Lake Geneva, Villa Barton provides an exceptional setting for the Institute’s Executive Education programmes.

Rothschild Building 

 

Located near the lake, the Rothschild building is owned by the Institute. Having previously served as the headquarters of the former Graduate Institute of Development Studies, it is now home to various programmes associated with the Institute, such as the Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS), NORRAG and the Global Commission on Drug Policy.

The Edgar and Danièle de Picciotto Student House

 

“A place to live and to come together, promoting the values of hospitality, exchange of ideas and openness to the world; values dear to the spirit of Geneva.” Edgar de Picciotto

Directly opposite Maison de la paix stands the Edgar and Danièle de Picciotto Student House. Designed by architects Lacroix and Chessex, it opened in September 2012 and houses 250 people in 135 living spaces (72 studios, 63 apartments). 

The Student House’s construction was made possible thanks to the generous donations from Edgar de Picciotto and his family, as well as from the Loterie Romande.

Villa Moynier

 

Villa Moynier is located in Parc Mon Repos, a few hundred metres from Villa Barton. Built between 1846 and 1847, it was the property of Gustave Moynier, the founder and first president of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). 

The villa was renovated thanks to the generous support of the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and the City of Geneva. It hosts the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights and the Geneva Master in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS), two joint centres with the University of Geneva.

New Student Residence designed by Kengo Kuma

 

The Institute is building a new student residence designed by the world renowned architect, Kengo Kuma. Located on a hillside in Petit-Saconnex, the residence is just a few minutes’ walk from Maison de la paix and enjoys magnificent views towards Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc. Learn more

Maison de la Paix
Villa Barton
Rothshild building
Edgar and Danièle de Picciotto Student House
Villa Moynier
New student residence by Kengo Kuma