Welcome to my web page.
I am Professor of Economics and Pictet Chair in Finance and Development at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva. I am also the Director of the Center for Finance and Development.
Prior to joining the Institute, I was the Chief of the Debt and Finance Analysis Unit at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and a Senior Economist in the Research Department of the Inter-American Development Bank. In the past, I also worked at World Bank and taught at the American University of Beirut and at the University of Torino.
I am a former member of the Executive Committee of the Latin American Economic Association (LACEA) and an editor of the Association's journal Economia. I am also part of the editorial board of The IMF Economic Review, the Review of Development Finance, and the Review of Economics and Institutions.
Follow me on Twitter @upanizza
- And Yet It Moves: Inflation and The Great Recession (with D. Miles, R. Reis, and A. Ubide), VoxEU Piece, on Sole 24Ore
- Odiousness Ratings for Public Debt (with R. Hausmann), Project Syndicate
- The use of corruption indicators in sovereing ratings, IDB Technical Note
- The Cyclicality of International Public Sector Borrowing in Developing Countries: Does the Lender Matter? (with A. Galindo) CEPR Discussion Paper
- Lessons Unlearned? Corporate Debt in Emerging Markets (with L. Alfaro, G. Asis, and A. Chari) CEPR Discussion Paper and NBER Working Paper, VoxEU Piece
- Does Greece need more offcial debt relief? If so, how much? (with J. Zettelemeyer and E. Kreplin), Working Paper, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Non-linearities in the Relationship between Finance and Growth, IHEID Working Paper
- A Perfectly Crazy Idea for the IMF, Project Syndicate
- The Folk Theorem of Decreasing Effectiveness of Monetary Policy: What Do the Data Say? (with C. Wyplosz) prepared for the 17th J. Polak Annual Research Conference (IMF)
- Public Debt and Private Firm Funding: Evidence from Chinese Cities (with Y. Huang and M. Pagano), VoxEU piece
- Can Countries Rely on Foreign Saving for Domestic Investment (and Development)? (with E. Cavallo and B. Eichengreen), VoxEU Piece
- The second wave of global liquidity: why are fi rms acting like fi nancial intermediaries? (with J. Caballero and A. Powell), VoxEU Piece
- Public Debt and Long-Term Economic Growth: The Research and Policy Agenda, Proceedings of the 43rd Economics Conference, Austrian National Bank (2015).
- Billions on the Sidewalk: Improving Savings by Reducing Investment Mistakes (related material at the Harvard/WEF Symposium)
- CIEPR-Brookings Report on Corporate Debt in Emerging Markets (with V. Acharya, S. Cecchetti, J. De Gregorio, S. Kalemli-Ozcan, and P. Lane) see also VoxEU piece
- Too Much Finance or Statistical Illusion: A Comment (with JL Arcand and E Berkes)
- VoxEU Piece on Financing for Development (with C. Adam, A. Presbitero and D. Vines)
- Debt Sustainability in Low-Income Countries - The Grants versus Loans Debate in a World without Crystal Balls
- Peru’s Great Depression A Perfect Storm? (with Gonzalo Llosa)
- To QE or not to QE my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the Quantitative Easing
- Rashomon in euro land, my contribution to The Economist roundtable on the euro zone
- A Surplus of Ambition: Can Europe Rely on Large Primary Surpluses to Solve its Debt Problem? (with B. Eichengreen) NBER WP 20316, VoxEU piece, on the Financial Times, on The Economist, other Financial Times
- Public Debt Risks in Italy, on Fortune
- Financial Development and Economic Growth: Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns
- Debt Composition, Debt Levels and Sovereign Spreads in Emerging and Advanced Economies (with S. Dell'Erba and R. Hausmann)
- Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion (VoxEU pieces about the first and second part of the paper)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth in Advanced Economies: A Survey (with A. Presbitero), VoxEU piece, lavoce.info, il Sole 24 Ore, and interview about the paper
- Finance and Economic Development in a Model with Credit Rationing (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes)
- Public Debt and Economic Growth: Is There a Causal Effect? (with A. Presbitero) VoxEU piece about the paper
- Too Much Finance? (with JL Arcand and E. Berkes) BBC interview, on The Economist, a video interview about the paper, VoxEU piece