This page is intended to help students find the appropriate administrator to answer any question they may have. Before calling, try to find the information first on the Student portal - most documents, forms, and administrative information related to the Graduate Institute, are available online.

First, what kind of question do you have?

How do I renew my residency or work permit?
  • Fill out the forms M or EU forms and sign together with your employer;
  • Go to the Institute's Career Services, together with enclosed M (request for non-EU/EFTA nationals) or form EU (request for EU/EFTA nationals) and your student card in order to get an authorisation for the job or internship.
  • Send or bring directly the whole file (i.e. form, the authorisation remitted by the Career Services, proof of payment and other required documents) by regular mail to :
    Office cantonal de la population (OCP)
    Service des étrangers
    88, route de Chancy
    Case postale 2652
    1211 Genève 2


As a foreign student, how many hours am I allowed to work in Switzerland?

Foreign students, holding a student permit B, are allowed to work 15 hours per week during classes and full time during academic holidays.

Can I work immediately when I arrive in Switzerland?

Non-EU citizens holding a student permit B are not allowed to work during the first 6 months of their studies in Switzerland. EU citizens can start working as soon as they have received their permit B.

Who should I contact to get a document or a signature for an internship?

Please contact us at career@graduateinstitute.ch

How can I access the internships and job offers platform?

The internship and job offers are available on our protected web pages and are reserved exclusively for our current students, recent graduates and alumni. If you are part of one of these groups, please check the job offers directly on our website by using your IHEID login details. For any question, please contact us at career-student@graduateinstitute.ch

Does Career Services offer CV preparation assistance?

Yes. Career Services organises CV modification and preparation workshops throughout the academic year. You have also the possibility to drop by the career services office without appointment during the Walk-In Advising sessions.

Do I need to sign up to participate in the Careers forum?

No. Entrance is open to current and former students and is free of charge. However, please go to the welcome desk where a badge will be provided to you.

Can I validate my internship and get credits?

Yes, MIA and Mdev students can make a request to get credits for their internships. To do so, please contact directly mia@graduateinstitute.ch or mdev@graduateinstitute.ch.

How can I obtain a transcript or a recommendation from an academic advisor?

Please contact Laurent Neury at laurent.neury@graduateinstitute.ch.