Technology, Globalisation and World Trade Governance
Roberto Azevêdo, Richard Baldwin and othersA one-day conference at the WTO
World Trade Organization
Rue de Lausanne 154, 1202 Genève
10:00 Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Roberto Azevedo, Director General, WTO
- Richard Baldwin, Professor of International Economics, Graduate Institute; and Co-Director CTEI
10:30 Session 1. Robots, trade and jobs
A look at rapidly changing technologies and what they mean for trade and employment
- Richard Baldwin, Graduate Institute
- Irmgard Nubler*, ILO
12:00 Session 2. Trade and the digital economy
A look at the interactions including: eCommerce, Online Offshoring, data services, platforms, privacy and cyber security issues
Moderator: Robert Koopman, Chief Economist and Director of the Economic Research and Statistics Division at the World Trade Organization
- Cheng Ouyang, Alibaba
- Alvaro Cedeño Molinari, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the World Trade Organisation
15:00 Session 3. Digital trade and the WTO
An all-stakeholder discussion of policies at all levels of government affect digital trade in all its forms.
Moderator: Daniel Crosby, Partner, King & Spaldin
- Gabrielle Marceau, President of SIEL; Professeure Associée, Faculty of Law, University of Geneva; and Senior Counsellor, Legal Affairs Division, WTO
- Andrew Wilson, Chief of Staff, International Chamber of Commerce
- Ambassador Marc Vanheukelen, Permanent Mission of the European Union to the WTO
17:00 Session 4. High level policy panel
This session puts that day’s work into the broader perspective of historical, technological, social and global governance and political considerations.
Moderator: Richard Baldwin, Professor of International Economics, Graduate Institute; and Co-Director CTEI
18:30 Networking Reception
This event is organised by the Graduate Institute's Centre for Trade and Economic Integration in partnership with the World Trade Organisation under the auspices of the Trade Dialogues programme
For further enquiries about this event, please send an email to email@example.com
Registration / Inscription
Registration for this conference has closed. Registered participants without WTO accreditation are reminded that they need to bring photo id to enter the WTO. Those with accreditation to the WTO are welcome to join the conference in Room W. Unfortunately, those without accreditation to the WTO that are not registerd cannot be admitted to the conference.
Those interested in the topic may wish to consider attending this conference.