Book launch: Crisis and Conflict in Agriculture
Maison de la Paix - Room A2CIES Book Launch event
The CIES is pleased to organise the launch of this book with the presence of the following speakers:
- Christophe Gironde, Senior Lecturer, Development Studies, The Graduate Institute
- Amalia Ribi Forclaz, Associate Professor in International History, The Graduate Institute
- Alaa Tartir, Research Associate, Centre on Conflict, Development & Peacebuilding (CCDP), the Graduate Institute
- Eckart Woertz, Senior research fellow at CIDOB, the Barcelona Centre for International Affairs
This book discusses the causes and effects of crisis and conflict within an agricultural and rural context. It explores issues such as competition over resources, and looks at how crisis and conflict impact upon developing country agriculture for both the physical and human agricultural landscape. It reviews crises stemming from politically-driven violence as well as natural disasters and climate change.
Exploring the relationship between agriculture and confl icts and crises before, during and after crisis periods, this book:
- Evaluates controversial issues such as land-grabs and the growing of illegal crops;
- Covers methodological approaches such as GIS-based studies, ethnographic studies and the blending of methods;
- Includes numerous case studies focusing on developing countries within Asia, Latin America, Middle East, North Africa, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Edited by Rami Zurayk, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, Eckart Woertz, Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB), Spain and Rachel Bahn, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Additonnal information can be found here.
REGISTRATION / INSCRIPTION