Seminar on European Monetary Integration
EI069 | Autumn | 6 ECTS
The seminar is primarily designed for second-year MIS students. First-year MIS students and MIA students with a solid knowledge of macroeconomics may also attend. PhD students are welcome but should be aware that the course will not be highly technical.
The seminar will review the process of monetary integration in Europe. It will cover the following topics:
- Why a common currencies? Principles and a brief history
- The Maastricht Treaty
- The first ten years: calm before the storm
- The Eurozone crisis: how it happened
- The Eurozone crisis: why it happened
- The aftermath of the crisis: a bottle half full or half empty?
- Current debates