Executive Certificate in Development Policies and Practices (DPP)
Gain strategic and applied skills to craft development actions in the field
Are you striving for sustainable development debates, practices and field experiences? Join us in one of our 5 regional hubs to acquire a unique applied knowledge on current regional development issues.
Visit development projects with a critical perspective, discuss current regional development policies, unpack practical tools and interact with regional professionals during an intense five weeks' course in Burkina Faso, Ghana, Kazakhstan, Peru or Vietnam.
Overview & Objectives
In one of our 5 regional partners, be exposed to a rich and project-based learning journey combining discussions on development policies and experiences sharing with regional professors and participants. Expand or acquire the following knowledge and skills:
- Regional cases analysis on development issues and the interactions between policies, practices and actors
- Analytical and methodological skills, and write either a project proposal or policy / position paper on a development issue
- Management tools for the design, monitoring and assessment of projects with a strategic perspective
Download course highlights
- Strengthen your leadership and management skills to better interact with other professionals and effectively influence development debates and discussions
- Further develop systematic strategies to your work that lead to concrete and effective interventions
- Benefit from exchange of experiences with peers coming from the one of the five regions
- Join an international network of development professionals
Mid-career professionals aiming at a new career orientation and younger or junior professionals from all sectors and professional backgrounds aspiring to acquire a first field experience in a developing context.
Partners, Faculty & Staff
- Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou – Yam Pukri
- Ghana, Accra – University of Ghana Business School
- Kazakhstan, Almaty – Kimep University
- Peru, Lima – Centro de Estudios y Promoción del Desarrollo
- Vietnam, Hanoi – Asian Institute of Technology
French (Ouagadougou), English (Accra/Almaty/Hanoi) or Spanish (Lima)
Burkina Faso (31 July to 1 September 2017) - Ghana (7 August to 8 September 2017) - Kazakhstan (24 July to 24 August 2017) - Peru (7 August to 8 September 2017) - Vietnam (11 July to 10 August 2017)
The Executive Certificate (Certificate of Advanced Studies or CAS) is worth 15 ECTS (European Credits Transfer System).
Ivo Rusch, DPP 2015-2016 in Accra 'The first module conducted in Ghana was marvellous. I met interesting and professional people from all over Africa. Our group discussions were really fruitful and gave me deeper understanding of development and cooperation. This was real intercultural learning, in a stimulating and real African environment.'
Olivier Dumont, DPP 2016-2017 in Hanoi 'As a Swiss participant, the module 1 of the DPP program in Hanoi was an exceptional opportunity to share experience with other professionals coming from six different countries in South East Asia and working for NGOs or in public/private sector. The quality of lecturers, the field visits and organizations met were highly appreciated. Exchange with participants with extensive knowledge and large experience in development were definitively the highlights of this first module.'
Entry requirements & Application procedure
- Selection is primarily based on the candidate's background, motivation and applicability of the certificate for their current work or future career
- A bachelor’s degree (minimum 3 years) and some professional experience
- Proficiency either in English, French or Spanish
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until 15 May 2017.
CHF 9'500, accommodation and meals included. Participants are required to organise and take at their expenses the round trip plane ticket and to have a health/accident insurance.
If you are a Geneva resident or tax payer, you may be entitled to a training allowance for continuing education (CAF) up to CHF 1'500. For further information and application process, please visit the State of Geneva website - looking for reference course n° ... - before the beginning of the course (no funds are granted once the programme has started).