The building’s total gross surface covers 38,000 m2 and is distributed as follows:
- The Graduate Institute: 20,000 m2 (53 %);
- The centres supported by the Swiss Confederation (DCAF, GCSP, GICHD): 11,000 m2 (29 %);
- Other organisations working on international issues (WBCSD, Gulf Research Centre, Interpeace): 2500 m2 (6 %);
- Parking and archives: 4500 m2 (12 %).
The area reserved for the Institute, aside from administrative space and faculty offices, includes:
- The 600-seat Ivan Pictet auditorium, which can be divided into two smaller auditoriums of 400 and 200 seats;
- A 100-seat auditorium;
- The Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Library, covering 4,500 m2 over two levels with 330 workstations;
- 11 classrooms and 10 seminar rooms;
- A cafeteria seating 170, as well as a terrace with 60 places.
Construction of the Maison de la paix is being delivered on time, with remarkable speed:
- December 2008: Winner following an international two-phase anonymous architectural competition;
- May 2010: Application for building permit;
- April 2011: Building permit granted;
- July 2011: Agreement with general contractor signed; construction site opened;
- September 2013: The base and Petals 1 and 2 are completed, allowing the Institute to move in;
- End of December 2013: Petals 3 and 4 completed;
- Autumn 2014: Petals 5 and 6 completed.