- Mariette Grange, Senior Researcher at the Global Detention Project, has been invited to make a presentation on alternatives to detention at events on "Libertad de circulación - Alternativas al internamiento de inmigrantes en situación irregular" jointly organized by Mugak and the University of the Basque Country, Spain, at the Centro Carlos Santamaría Donostia-San Sebastian on 25-26 April 2013.
- Jerome Elie has been invited by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) to contribute to the Civil Society Consultations on Population Dynamics, on 18-19 February 2013, in Geneva. This is part of the Global Thematic Consultation on Population Dynamics of which the Government of Switzerland is the Lead Country.
- Jérôme Elie has been invited to contribute to the UNHCR Workshop on the Revision of the Voluntary Repatriation Handbook, Geneva, 10-11 December 2012. He made a presentation on "UNHCR and Voluntary Repatriation: Broad Historical Trends since 1951".
- Vincent Chetail has been invited to give a lecture on International Refugee Law and Humanitarian Action at the Geneva Centre for Education and Research in Humanitarian Action (CERAH) in CERAH's Diploma of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Action (DAS) program “Legal Framework of Humanitarian Action”, on November 27, 2012.
- Micheal Flynn, coordinator of the Global Detention Project, has been invited to the Refugee Studies Centre 30th Anniversary Conference that has been held on December 6-7, 2012. He has presented his paper entitled: "Liberty versus security: how the promotion of fundamental rights can encourage the expansion of immigration detention."
- Jerome Elie has been invited to contribute to the Global Experts meeting of the World Bank's Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD), that has been held in Geneva on December 3-4, 2012.
- Jerome Elie gave a presentation on "Global Migration and International Affairs" in Prof. Hanhimäki's seminar on "History and International Affairs" (Master in International Affairs), on 26 November 2012.
- Jerome Elie has been invited to act as Rapporteur for the Working Sessions on "Protecting Vulnerable Migrant Workers" and "Protecting Migrants in Dire Humanitarian Situations" at the Civil Society Days of the Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD), 19 – 21 November, Mauritius.
- Jerome Elie was invited to act as the Rapporteur for the IOM–CSO Annual Consultations: "Enhancing Dialogue, Cooperation and Partnership on Migration", 25 October 2012, IOM Headquarters, Geneva.
- Vincent Chetail inaugurated the 2012-2013 International Refugee Law seminar series at the University of London (School of Advanced Study) on Friday 12 October 2012. His lecture analysed the relations between International Refugee Law and International Human Rights Law from a systemic perspective.
- Le 27 septembre 2012, Mariette Grange, chercheure avancée au Global Detention Project, a donné une présentation intitulée: Quand la minorité impose sa loi à la majorité: paradoxes de la migration masculine dans les pays du Golfe Persique, dans le cadre du Cycle de conférences publiques, organisé par le Département de géographie et environnement de l'Université de Genève en collaboration avec l'Institut d'Etudes Genre sur le thème: Les migrations: une question de genre ?
- Alessandro Monsutti and Jerome Elie participated to the UNHCR-ILO "Labour Mobility for Refugees" Workshop, Geneva, 11-12 September 2012.
- GDP on NPR: On 28 August, "Worldview," a program of the U.S. National Public Radio affiliate WBEZ in Chicago aired an interview with Michael Flynn discussing trends in global immigration detention practices.
- Vincent Chetail participated to the 7th Edition of the Certificate in European Law on Immigration and Asylum (Academic Year 2012 / 2013), Organized by the Academic Network for Legal Studies on Immigration and Asylum in Europe (University of Brussels).
- Jerome Elie was invited to act as Discussant in the Peer Review Meeting of the Least Developed Countries Report 2012: "Harnessing Remittances and Diaspora Knowledge for Productive Capacities in the Least Developed Countries”, Palais des Nations, Geneva, 4–5 July 2012.
- Vincent Chetail was invited to give a lecture at the 25th Course of International Humanitarian Law organised by the ICRC (2-11 July 2012). His lecture was devoted to the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons under International Humanitarian Law.
- On Friday 28 June, Vincent Chetail gave a lecture at the 15th Summer Course on Refugee Law organized by the International Institute of Human Rights (Strasbourg) and the UNHCR. His lecture analysed the international legal regime governing statelessness.
- At the invitation of Polish Humanitarian Action, Michael Flynn, coordinator of the Global Detention Project, gave a series of presentations in Poland on 20-23 June. The presentations, on the subject of "Immigration Detention and Children," were given at the University of Warsaw, the University of Bialystok, and John Paul II Catholic University in Lublin.
- M. Flynn of the Global Detention Project was interviewed in the Polish oulet Przekrój: "Illegals", Przekrój, 18 June 2012. Klementyna Suchanow talked with Michael Flynn on a global research programm on detention centres, migration and States politics towards non-citizens.
- On 6 June 2012, Alessandro Monsutti gave the 2012 Annual Elizabeth Colson Lecture on "State, Sovereignties and Refugees:A View from the Margins?" at the University of Oxford.
- Izabella Majcher represented the Programme for the Study of Global Migration at the 'Mini-Symposium' on Migration, Family, Human Rights, organized by Global Migration Policy Associates, Geneva, 24 April 2012.
- On 28 March 2012, Michael Flynn, coordinator of the Global Detention Project, participated in a round table discussion organized by the Open Society Foundations' International Migration Initiative titled "Holding Patterns: Can Advocacy Efforts to Reform Migration Detention Inadvertently Lead to the Growth of Detention Regimes?" A recording of the forum is available here. The discussion paper Flynn produced for the meeting, “On the Unintended Consequences of Human Rights Advocacy on Immigration Detention,” is available here.
- Mariette Grange of the Global Detention Project was invited on 6 March 2012 as a speaker for the documentary film En attente... by Nael Khleifi, within the Programme pédagogique at the 10th edition of the FIFDH in Geneva.
- Alessandro Monsutti gave a lecture on “The Politics of Reconstruction in Afghanistan: Rural Development, Local Participation and the Workshop Culture” at Austrian Academy of Sciences on 24 of January 2012. More info
- Alessandro Monsutti was Visiting Professor at the University of Vienna, Departement of Social and Cultural Anthropology from 15 to 30 January 2012. He gave a course on "Insurgents, Refugees and Humanitarian Activists: A Political Anthropology of the Afghan Crisis" and a conference on "Afghans Without Borders: Mobility and the International World of Nations" (18 janvier 2012).
To see Activities in 2011 click here
To see Activities in 2010 click here
To see Activities in 2009 click here
To see Activities in 2008 click here