Director, Programme on Environmental Governance, CIES
Phone : +41 22 908 58 41
Position(s) at the Institute
Pictet Chair in International Environmental Law
PhD, Sciences Po, Paris / LLM, Harvard University
Faculty member since 2009, Professor Viñuales holds the Pictet Chair in International Environmental Law. He is also a Member of the Committee of Foreign Lawyers of the Geneva Bar as well as the Executive Director of the Latin American Society of International Law. Professor Viñuales is currently active as both an academic and a practitioner in the fields of international environmental law and international investment law and arbitration. Before joining the Institute, he was a full-time practitioner specialising first in mergers and acquisitions and then in international arbitration. He has worked on many cases under ICSID, UNCITRAL, PCA, ICC or LCIA rules, including several high profile inter-State, investor-State, and commercial disputes. He has also served as consultant or provided advice on different matters of international law to governments, companies, international organisations or major NGOs. His research currently focuses on the interface between environment and investment, and his monograph on this topic, Foreign Investment and the Environment in International Law was published by Cambridge University Press in 2012. Professor Viñuales was educated in France (Sciences Po Paris), the United States (Harvard), Switzerland (The Graduate Institute, the University of Geneva, and the University of Fribourg) and Argentina (UNICEN). Professor Viñuales' is a native Spanish speaker, and he is fluent in French, English and Italian.
Areas of expertise
International Environmental Law and Natural Resources ; International Investment Law and Arbitration ; Transitional Justice and the Rule of Law ; United Nations Law ; Philosophy of Law
Authored books and monographs
Foreign Investment and the Environment in International Law
(Cambridge University Press – Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law, 2012)
International Environmental Law: A Modern Introduction (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2013). English version of Introduction au droit international de l’environnement (Brussels: Bruylant, forthcoming 2013) [with Pierre-Marie Dupuy].
El régimen jurídico internacional relativo al cambio climático: Perspectivas y prospectivas, in: Organisation of American States (O.A.S.)/Inter-American Juridical Committee, Course on International Law ("Universalism and Regionalism at the Beginning of the 21st Century"), vol. XXXVI, 2010.
Articles and chapters
- ‘“The Secret of Tomorrow”: International Organization through the Eyes of Michel Virally’ (2012) 23 European Journal of International Law 1.
- ‘Managing Abidance by Standards for the Protection of the Environment’, in Cassese, A. (ed.) Realizing Utopia (Oxford University Press, 2012), pp. 326-339.
- ‘Du bon usage du droit international: Les négociations climatiques en perspective’ (2010/2011) 56 Annuaire français de droit international 437.
- ‘The “Resource Curse” – A Legal Perspective’ (2011) 17 Global Governance 197.
- ‘Balacing Effectiveness and Fairness in the Redesign of the Climate Change Regime’ (2011) 24 Leiden Journal of International Law 223.
- ‘Foreign Investment and the Environment in International Law: An Ambiguous Relationship’ (2009/2010) 80 British Yearbook of International Law 244.
- ‘Iced Freshwater Resources: A Legal Exploration’ (2009/2010) 20 Yearbook of International Environmental Law 188.
Fellowship and activities