International History and Politics
Phone : +41 22 908 58 72
Position(s) at the Institute
International History and Politics
PhD, Harvard University
Faculty member since 1989, Dr Liebich was previously Professor of Political Science at the University of Québec in Montréal. He has also taught at McGill University, the University of Montréal, the University of Fribourg and the Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania. He has held research appointments at St. Antony’s and Nuffield Colleges, Oxford; the Russian Research Centre, Harvard; the Hoover Institution, Stanford; the Kennan Institute, Washington, DC; the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton; and the Institute for Historical Research, London. His interests lie in Central and East European history and politics, modern political thought and ideologies, and international history and theory. His current research deals with nationhood and statehood, and minority and diaspora politics. His published works include From the Other Shore: Russian Social Democracy After 1921 (Fraenkel Prize, 1995) and Les minorités nationales en Europe centrale et orientale (1997).
Current Outside Service Activities
- Vice President, Diplo Foundation, Geneva-Malta
- Boards of Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN), New York
- EU Democracy Observatory on Citizenship (EUDO), Florence-Edinburg
- UACES Collaborative Research Network 'Romanis in Europe'
- Co-Editor, International Relations and Development Series, Palgrave Macmillan
- Editorial Committees of Relations internationales, Revolutionary Russia, Rossiya XXI veka
Areas of expertise
- Statehood and nationalism
- Minority issues
- Diaspora politics
- Current political issues in post-communist Europe
- From the Other Shore: Russian Social Democracy after 1921, Harvard Historical Studies 125. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1997, Pb 1999 xvi + 476 pp. + illustrations (Recipient of Fraenkel Prize in Contemporary History, 1995)
- Les Minorités nationales en Europe centrale et orientale, Collection "Europe".
- Geneva, Georg ed., 1997, 187 pp. + maps + tables
- Between Ideology and Utopia: The Politics and Philosophy of August Cieszkowski, Sovietica 39. Dordrecht-Boston-London: D. Reidel Publ. Co., 1979. vii + 390 pp.
Selected recent articles
- "Protokoly Zagranichnoi Delegatsii RSDRP i nasledie russkoi sotsial-demokratii," in Men'sheviki v emigratsii, A. Liebich and A. Nenarokov (eds.) (Moscow: Rosspen, 2010) vol. I pp. 27-93 (with A.Nenarokov, A. Panaccione)
- "Questioni nazionali e nazionalismi dopo il 1989," in Venti anni dopo (1989-2009) Andrea Panaccione (ed.) (Modena: Unicolpi, 2010) pp. 89-99
- "Poles unlike Russians: Drawing Distance from Paris, 1830-1860," in Shaping of Identities: Essays on the Non-Russian Peoples of Russia: Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Michael Branch (ed.) (Helsinki: Finnish Literary Society, 2009) pp. 415-435.
- "How Different is the New Europe? Perspectives on States and Minorities," CEU Political Science Journal 3:3 (2008) pp. 269-292.
- "Minority as Inferiority: Minority Rights in Historical Perspective", Review of International Studies (2008), 34, 243–263 Copyright British International Studies Association.
- "Roma Nation? Competing Narratives of Nationhood," Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 13:4 (Winter 2007) pp. 539-554
- "Introduction: "Altneuländer or the Vcissitudes of Citizenship in the New EU states," Citizenship Policies in the New Europe, in Rainer Bauböck, Bernhard Perchnig, Wiebke Sievers (eds.) (Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, rev ed, 2009) pp. 21-42.
- "Was Herder a Nationalist?" Review of Politics 69:1 (2007) pp. 48-78 [with Dominic Eggel, Deborah Mancini-Griffoli]
- "Maîtres à l'épée, maîtres à danser, maîtres à penser: founding French national consciousness in Russian Exile," Canadian Slavonic Papers 49: 1/2 (2007) pp. 27-47.
- "Searching for the Perfect Nation: The Itinerary of Hans Kohn (1891-1971)," Nations and Nationalism 12:4 (2006) pp. 579-596.
- "Krakh sotsial-demokraticheskogo podpol'ia v bol'shevistkoi Rossii 1922-1924 gg," in Z. Galili & A. Nenarokov (gen.eds.), Men'sheviki v 1922-1924 gg, Politicheskie partii Rossii. Konets XIX-pervaia tret' XX veka. Dokumental'noe naslediie (Moscow: Rosspen, 2004) pp. 19-105 (with A. Mikhailov, A. Nenarokov, A. Panaccione, N. Peremyshlennikova)