Recent Articles/Book Chapters
- 'Overseeing Human Rights Compliance', in A. Cassese, (ed), Realizing Utopia: The Future of International Law, Oxford, OUP (2012), 318-25.
- 'Corporations and Criminal Complicity' in Human Rights, Corporate Complicity and Disinvestment, G.Nystuen, A.Follesdal, and O. Mestad (eds) Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, (2011), 222-242.
- 'Concluding Remarks: Three Tribes Engage on the Future of International Criminal Law' Vol. 9(3) Journal of International Criminal Justice (2011) 689-695;
- 'Non-State Actors', in S. Shah, S. Sivakumaran, and D. Harris, (eds), International Human Rights Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010. 561-82
- 'The Title and Preamble of the Convention', with T. Boutruche, S. Casey-Maslen, T. Nash, M. Reiterer, and M. Smyth, in G. Nystuen and S. Casey-Maslen, (eds) in The Convention on Cluster Munitions: A Commentary, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010, 37-94.
- 'The Subject of Subjects and the Attribution of Attribution' in International Law and the Quest for its Implementation: Liber Amicorum Vera Gowlland-Debbas L Boisson de Chazournes and M. Kohen (eds) Leiden, Brill, 2010, 44-58.
- 'The Role of the Individual in International Law' 21 European Journal of International Law 1 (2010) 25-30.
- 'Non-state Actors' in V. Chetail (ed) Post-Conflict Peacebuilding: A Lexicon, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2009, 200-212. French version in Lexique de la consolidation de la paix Bruylant, Bruxelles, 2009, 73-89.
- 'Extending International Criminal Law beyond the Individual to Corporations and Armed Opposition Groups', vol. 6 Journal of International Criminal Justice (2008) 899-926.
- 'Human rights obligations of non-state actors in conflict situations', vol. 88 no. 863 International Review of the Red Cross (2006) 491-523.
- 'The jus cogens Prohibition of Torture and the Importance of Sovereign State Immunity' in M. Kohen (ed) Promoting
Justice, Human Rights and Conflict Resolution through International Law
/ La promotion de la justice, des droits de l’homme et du règlement des
conflits par le droit international Liber Amicorum Lucius Caflisch, Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff (2006) 151-170.
- 'Rights and Responsibilites: A Legal Perspective',
in O. Jütersonke and K. Krause (eds) From Rights to Responsibilities:
Rethinking Intervention for Humanitarian Purposes, PSIS Special Study 7,
Geneva: Programme for Strategic and International Security Studies,
2006. pp. 61-85.
- "Succession, Terrorism and the Right to Self-Determination" in M. Kohen (ed) Succession in International Law: Contemporary Perspectives, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2006) 46-64.
- "Are We There Yet? In Search of a Coherent EU Strategy on Labour
Rights and External Trade", J. Bourke Martignoni in V. A. Leary and D.
Warner (eds.), Social Issues, Globalisation and International Institutions, Koninklijke Brill NV, The Netherlands, 2005, pp. 233-309.
- "The complexity of international criminal law: Looking beyond
individual responsibility to the responsibility of organizations,
corporations and states", in R. Thakur and P. Malcontent (eds) From Sovereign Impunity to International Accountability: The Search for Justice in a World of States, Tokyo: United Nations University Press (2004) 233-52.
- "Corporate Complicity in Violations of International law: Beyond Unocal", in W.P. Heere (ed), From Government to Governance: The Growing Impact of Non-State Actors on the International and European Legal System, The Hague: TMC Asser Press (2004) 227-238.
- "State responsibility, corporate responsibility, and complicity in
human rights violations", in L. Boman-Larsen and O. Wiggen (eds), Responsibility in World Business: Managing Harmful Side-effects of Corporate Activity, Tokyo: UN University Press (2004) 50-81.
- "Remarks - Symposium on the United Nations High Commissioner for
Human Rights: The First Ten Years of the Office, and the Next", vol. 35 Columbia Human Rights Law Review 3, (2004) 517-21.
- "National Action Challenged: Sovereignty, Immunity and Universal
Jurisdiction before the International Court of Justice", in M. Lattimer
and P. Sands (eds), Justice for Crimes Against Humanity, Oxford: Hart Publishing (2003) 303-32.
- "Terrorism, National Measures and International Supervision", in A.
Bianchi (ed), Enforcing International Human Rights Norms Against
Terrorism, Oxford: Hart (2003) 282-305.
- "Symbiosis in International Law: The Öcalan Case and the Evolving Law on the Death Sentence ", vol. 1 Journal of International Criminal Justice, (2003) 475-489.
- "Issues of complexity, complicity and complementarity: from the
Nuremberg trials to the dawn of the new International Criminal Court",
in P. Sands (ed) From Nuremberg to the Hague: The Future of International Criminal Justice (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2003) 30-67.
- "Human Rights", in E. Wayne Nafziger and Raimo Vayrynen (eds) War and Destitution: The Prevention of Humanitarian Emergencies, WIDER/United Nations University, Helsinki, (Basingstoke/New York, Palgrave, 2002) 232-252.
- "The European Union before the European Court of Human Rights", in International Organizations and International Dispute Settlement: Trends and Prospects L. Boisson de Chazournes, C. Romano and R. Mackenzie (eds) (Transnational Publishers, New York, 2002) 73-88.
- "On Complicity", in M. Henzelin and R. Roth (eds) Le droit pénal à l'épreuve de l'internationalisation (LGDJ, Paris/Georg, Geneva/ Bruylant, Brussels, 2002) 241-275.
- "Categories of Corporate Complicity in Human Rights Abuses", with S. Jerbi, 24 Hastings International and Comparative Law Journal (2001) 339-349.
- "International Law", with Antonio Cassese in J. Krieger (ed) The
Oxford Companion to Politics of the World 2nd ed (Oxford, Oxford
University Press, 2001) 408-411.
- "Human Rights", in J. Krieger (ed) The Oxford Companion to Politics of the World 2nd ed (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2001) 368-370.
- "The UN Human Rights Reporting Procedures: An NGO Perspective", in J. Crawford and P. Alston (eds) The Future of UN Human Rights Treaty Monitoring (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press) (2000) 175-198.
- "On Complementarity: Human Rights in the European Legal Orders", 21 Human Rights Law Journal (2000) 313-322.
- "Human Rights and the Prevention of Humanitarian Emergencies", United Nations University, WIDER, Working paper No. 211, December 2000. 55pp
- "The Question of Jurisdiction Under International Criminal Law Over
Legal Persons: Lessons from the Rome Conference on an International
Criminal Court", in M.T. Kamminga and s. Zia-Zarifi (eds) Liability of Multinational Corporations Under International Law, (Hague, Kluwer, 2000, 139-195.
- "Defining the Role of Non-Governmental Organizations with Regard to the UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies", in A.F. Bayefsky (ed) The UN Human Rights Treaty System in the 21st Century (Hague, Kluwer, 2000) 183-194.
- "Revisiting Human Rights in the Private Sphere: Using the European
Convention on Human Rights to protect the Right of Access to the Civil
Courts and Appendix 4 Revisiting Human Rights in the Private Sphere,
Postscript: Developments Related to Pinochet as of January 2001", in C.
Scott (ed) Torture as Tort: Comparative Perspectives on the Development of Transnational Human Rights Litigation (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2001) 513-535 and 717-724.
- "Sanctions and Economic, Social and Cultural Rights" in V. Gowlland-Debbas (ed) United Nations Sanctions and International Law (The Hague: Kluwer, 2001) 131-141.
Full list of publications