Dr. Erica Moret
Areas of Expertise
- Moret, E., Pothier, F. (2018) "Sanctions After Brexit" Survival, Global politics and Strategy, 60:2, pp. 179-200.
- Moret, E.,Evidence provided to the UK House of Lords EU External Affairs Sub-Committee on post-Brexit sanctions policy and defence/ security cooperation with the EU, July 2017: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/eu-external-affairs-subcommittee/brexit-sanctions-policy/written/70456.pdf
- Moret, Erica & Pawlak, Patryk (2017) “The EU Cyber Diplomacy Toolbox: Towards a Cyber Sanctions Regime”. European Union Institute for Strategic Studies (EUISS), Brief No. 24. 12 July. https://www.iss.europa.eu/content/eu-cyber-diplomacy-toolbox-towards-cyber-sanctions-regime
- Moret, Erica & Shagina Maria (2017) “The impact of EU-Russia tensions on the economy of the EU” in Kulesa, Lukasz, Timofeev, Ivan & Dobbs, Joseph (eds.), Damage assessment: EU-Russia relations in crisis, Chapter 2: 17-24, European Leadership Network, London
- Moret, Erica, Giumelli, Francesco & Bastiat-Jarosz, Dawid (2017) Sanctions on Russia: Impacts and Economic Costs on the United States. Programme for the Study of International Governance, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, 20 March: Russian Sanctions Report
- Moret, Erica, Biersteker, Thomas, Giumelli, Francesco, Portela, Clara, Veber, Maruša, Jarosz, Dawid & Bobocea, Cristian (2016). "The new deterrent? International sanctions against Russia over the Ukraine crisis: Impacts, costs and further action". Programme for the Study of International Governance, Graduate Institute, Geneva. 12 October.
- Moret, E (2016) “Effective minilateralism for the EU: what when and how”. European Union Institute for Security Studies Brief, No. 17. EUISS, Paris: June 03.
- Moret, E. (2016) “Europe or the open sea? Brexit and European security”. European Council on Foreign Relations. Commentary, 21 April.
- Moret, E. (2016) "What would Brexit mean for EU sanctions policy?". European Council on Foreign Relations. Commentary, 23 March.
- Biersteker, T. & Moret, E. (2015) "Rising powers and reform of the practices of international security institutions" in Gaskarth, J. (ed.), Rising Powers, Global Governance and Global Ethics. Routledge, London: 57-73.
- Moret, E.S. (2015) "Humanitarian Impacts of Economic Sanctions on Iran and Syria" in European Security. Vol 24. Issue 1.
- Luengo-Cabrera, J. & Moret, E. (2015) "Sanctions Against Iran: The Role of Pivotal Rising Powers". European Union Institute for Security Studies Brief, No. 25. EUISS, Paris: July 10.
- Moret, E. S. (2014) “United Nations Targeted Sanctions as a Tool of Conflict Prevention”. Proceedings of the 19th International Humanitarian Conference, Geneva.
- Moret, E. S. (2012) "Hegemony, Identity and trans-Atlantic Modernity: Afro-Cuban Religion (Re)politicisation and (De)legitimisation in the post-Soviet Era". Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture. 27: 3: 333 – 350.
- Moret, E. S. (2012) "Trans-Atlantic Diaspora Ethnobotany: Legacies of West African and Mediterranean Migration in Central Cuba". In Voeks, R. & Rashford, J. African Ethnobotany in the Americas. Springer.
- Moret, E. S. (2008) "Afro-Cuban Religion, Ethnobotany and Healthcare in the Context of Global Political and Economic Change". Bulletin of Latin American Research. 27: 3: 333 – 350.
- Moret, E. S. (2008) "A History of US Military Interventions and Invasions in Latin America since 1750" in Stearns, P. N. (ed) Oxford Encyclopaedia of the Modern World: 1750 to the Present. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Moret, E. S. (2008) "Piracy: Causes and Solutions" in Stearns, P. N. (ed) Oxford Encyclopaedia of the Modern World: 1750 to the Present. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Moret, E. S. (2008) "The Caribbean: An Introduction" in Stearns, P. N. (ed) Oxford Encyclopaedia of the Modern World: 1750 to the Present. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Moret, E. S. (2008) ‘Religious Syncretism’ in Stearns, P. N. (ed) Oxford Encyclopaedia of the Modern World: 1750 to the Present. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Mertl-Millhollen, A. S., Moret, E. S., Felantsoa, D., Rasamimanana, H., Blumenfeld-Jones, K. C., Jolly, A. (2003) "Ring-Tailed Lemur Home Ranges Correlate with Food Abundance and Nutritional Content at a Time of Environmental Stress" International Journal of Primatology, Volume 24, Issue 5, pp 969-985, October.
Selected presentations / task forces
- Participant in roundtable “Brexit: What Consequences for the EU’s Security and Defence Agenda?”. European Union Institute for Security Studies, Brussels, 23 March 2018.
- Briefing in UK Parliament on the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Bill (“SAMLB”) with officials, MPs, peers and senior stakeholders from the financial services industry, organised by UK Finance, 13 March 2018
- Moret, E., 25 September 2017. “North Korea Sanctions: Effectiveness and Common Approaches in the International Community”, delivered at the Fondation pour la Recherche Stratégique conference on "The DPRK Nuclear and Ballistic Crisis: The Way Forward", Brussels, funded by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and supported by the European External Action Service.
- Moret, E.,“Global Governance Adaptations: Minilateralism” on the New Issues in Security Course, Geneva Centre for Security Policy, 29 May 2017.
- Moret, E.,“UNSC Sanctions: Issues of Legitimacy and Effectiveness from 2006 to 2016 as part of “The Nuclear Negotiations with Iran” series for the Masters of International Affairs (MIA), Graduate Institute, 12 May 2017
- Moret, E.,Chair of workshop, “Crisis in the global order: What role for “minilateral” diplomacy?“ at the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP)’s Leadership in International Security course, 2 March 2017
- Moret, E. "Sanctions contre la Russie : coûts et impacts", European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), Paris Office, 13 December 2016, 'held at the French Representation to the European Commission.
- Workshop on Russia sanctions, “International Sanctions: From Design to Implementation”, Geneva Centre for Security Policy Executive Course, 13 October 2016.
- Co-chair of ongoing consultations on Syria sanctions and impacts of banking restrictions on humanitarian access, with UN, EU, US, banking and NGO communities. Graduate Institute. 2016-present.
- Co-chair of Chatham House (Russia and Eurasia Programme) task force on Sanctions on Russia, 28 September 2016.
- Task force member on Iran, Russia and Syria sanctions, European Union Institute for Security Studies (2015).
- Task force member on Syria Conflict, Geneva Centre for Security Policy (2014).
- Biersteker, Thomas & Moret, Erica, "Rising Powers and Global Responses: International Security Organizations’, presented at the Economic and Social Research Council Seminar Series: Normative Challenges to International Society – Rising Powers and Global Responses", Plymouth University, 1 March, 2014.
- Moret, E.S. "Humanitarian Impacts of EU Sanctions on Iran and Syria", presentation given to Oxford University Strategic Studies Group, All Souls College, University of Oxford, 7 May, 2013.