1 Av. Richard Wagner, 5th floor
Phone : +41 22 908 59 33
Position(s) at the Institute
Co-Director of the Centre of Trade and Economic Integration
PhD, Massachussetts Institute of Technology
Richard Baldwin is Professor of International Economics at the Graduate Institute as well as Founder and Editor-in-Chief of VoxEU.org, Policy Director of CEPR, and an elected Member of the Council of the European Economic Association. He has published in the areas of international trade, regionalism, European integration, economic geography, political economy and growth. He is a Research Associate of the US-based academic network known as the NBER and the European-based academic network known as the CEPR. He wrote his PhD at MIT under the guidance of Paul Krugman, with whom he has co-authored a half dozen articles, the most recent of which was published in 2004. His M.Sc. is from the London School of Economics, and his B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He received an honorary doctorate from the Turku School of Economics and Business in 2005. In 1990-1991 he followed trade matters for the President's Council of Economic Advisors in the Bush Administration. He has consulted for many governments and international organisations including the EU, the OECD, the World Bank, EFTA, USAID. He worked as an Associate Economic Affairs Officer for UNCTAD in the early 1980s.
Areas of expertise
Books and eBooks
- The Economics of European Integration, textbook with Charles Wyplosz, McGraw-Hill, 2003, 458 pages; third edition 2009 (first 2003, second 2005).
- Completing the Eurozone rescue: What more needs to be done? Editor with Daniel Gros and Luc Laeven. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 87 pages, June 2010.
- The great trade collapse: Causes, consequences and prospects. Editor. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 237 pages, December 2009.
- The collapse of global trade, murky protectionism, and the crisis: Recommendations for the G20. Editor with Simon Evenett. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 115 pages, March 2009.
- What world leaders must do to halt the spread of protectionism. Editor with Simon Evenett. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 71 pages, December 2008.
- What G20 leaders must do to stabilise our economy and fix the financial system. Editor with Barry Eichengreen. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 76 pages, November 2008.
- Rescuing our jobs and savings: What G7/8 leaders can do to solve the global credit crisis. Editor with Barry Eichengreen. A VoxEU.org Publication (eBook), 44 pages, October 2008.
Articles since 2007
- “Zeros, quality and space: Trade theory and trade evidence”, with James Harrigan, American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 3(2): 60–88, 2011. Also see NBER Working Papers 13214, July 2007.
- “Trade liberalisation with heterogeneous firms”, with Rikard Forslid, Review of Development Economics, 14(2), pp 161-176, 05. 2010. Also see NBER Working Paper No. 12192, May 2006.
- “Tax Reform, Delocation, and Heterogeneous Firms”, with Toshihiro Okubo, Scandinavian Journal of Economics 111(4): pp 741–764. 2009.
- “Reforming Economic Institutions of the European Union - EU Institutional Reform: Evidence on Globalization and International Cooperation”, American Economic Review, May, pp 127 – 132. 2008.
- "Trade and growth with heterogeneous firms”, with Frederic Robert-Nicoud, Journal of International Economics, Volume 74, Issue 1, January, pp 21-34. 2008.
- "Entry and Asymmetric Lobbying: Why Governments Pick Losers”, with Frederic Robert-Nicoud, Journal of the European Economics Association, vol. 5(5), pp 1064-1093. 2007."Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 1451-1518, 2006.
- “Unilateral tariff liberalisation”, in The International Economy, Journal of The Japan Society of. International Economics, No.14, pp 10-43. 2010. Also NBER WP No. 16600, 2010.
- “Are Trade Blocs Building or Stumbling Blocks? New Evidence”, with Elena Seghezza, Journal of Economic Integration, pp 25-2, June. 2010. Also CEPR Discussion Paper No. DP6599.
- “A 3 bloc dance: East Asian regionalism and the North Atlantic trade giants”, with Theresa Carpenter, Singapore Economic Review, Vol. 55, No.1, pp 1-21. 2010.
- “Trade liberalisation with heterogeneous firms”, with Rikard Forslid, Review of Development Economics, 14(2), pp 161-176, 05. 2010.
- “Managing the Noodle Bowl: The fragility of East Asian Regionalism”, Singapore Economic Review, vol. 53, issue 03, April pp 449-478. 2008.
- “Sequencing and Depth of Regional Economic Integration: Lessons for the Americas from Europe”, The World Economy, Vol. 31 Issue 1, January pp 5-30. 2008.
- “A test of endogenous trade bloc formation theory on EU data”, Richard Baldwin and Roland Rieder, Journal of International Economic Studies, 11(2), December pp 77–111. 2007.
- "The impact of monetary union on trade prices," with Robert Anderton and Daria Taglioni, 2007. Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 19, pages 35-48. 2007
- "Trade effects of the euro: A comparison of estimators”, with Daria Taglioni, Journal of Economic Integration, 22(4), December, pp 780–818. 2007. Circulated as “Gravity for dummies and dummies for gravity equations” CEPR DP5850, and NBER WP 12516. 2007.
Fellowship and activities
- Member of the High Level Trade Experts’ Group (Bhagwati-Sutherland Commission), 2010 -2011.
- Counsellor, World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council, 2009 – present.